The Land Trust Alliance was established by land trusts in 1982 to strengthen conservation across America. No land trust works alone. Together, we can protect more land and preserve it forever.
Today, we serve our 1,000 land trust members by:
- Uniting the land trust community as a strong political voice and leading advocacy efforts in Washington, D.C.
- Building land trusts’ capacity by providing learning opportunities, developing leaders and fostering collaboration.
- Supporting land trusts in their promise to protect land forever by securing the public trust and providing specialized insurance.
Is your land trust already a member of the Alliance? Log in to The Learning Center
Does your land trust want to become a member of the Alliance? Start your online membership application today.
Eligibility for Land Trust Annual Membership
To be eligible for land trust annual membership, your organization must meet the following criteria:
- As all or part of your mission, your organization works to conserve land by undertaking or assisting in the acquisition of land or conservation easements or by conducting stewardship of such land or easements.
- Actively a 501(c)(3) or 509(a)(3) organization, or a municipal/township land trust.
- Must provide a Board Adoption Resolution form as a commitment to adopting the Land Trust Standards and Practices as your organization’s guiding principles.
If you do not meet these criteria, we invite you to join the Land Trust Alliance as a Government Partner, Nonprofit Partner or Professional Partner.
Benefits for Land Trusts
Membership in the Alliance is a good choice for your land trust since our benefits will save you time and money — and advance your mission. Land trust members receive:
Land Trust Member Dues
Dues are based on a sliding scale. Your dues will be based on your organization’s operating expenses from the previous year.
|$10,000 or less
|$10,001 to $30,000
|$30,001 to $50,000
|$50,001 to $100,000
|$100,001 to $250,000
|$250,001 to $500,000
|$500,001 to $750,000
|$750,001 to $1,000,000
|$1,000,001 to $2,000,000
|$2,000,001 to $3,000,000
|$3,000,001 to $6,000,000
|$6,000,001 and above
All Alliance member land trusts must adopt the 2017 revised Land Trust Standards and Practices (the Standards) — the ethical and technical guidelines for how to operate a land trust. The land trust community’s shared commitment to these guidelines is essential to maintaining public trust in conservation.
If you are joining the Alliance for the first time, you must provide a board resolution reflecting adoption of the Standards. As an Alliance member, you must provide a board resolution reflecting adoption of the 2017 revised Standards when you renew your membership. All land trust members are expected to prove they have adopted the 2017 revised Standards by March 31, 2018.
The process is simple: Learn more about the Standards or upload the Board Adoption Resolution form.
Do you have questions about membership? Call 202-800-7475 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.