Looking for guidance on drafting new policies and procedures? Forming effective board committees? Writing job descriptions? Look no further.
The Western Program of the Land Trust Alliance is piloting an Organizational Development Help Desk to provide complimentary, direct, expert advice to Alliance member, western land trusts.
The help desk will be run by Donna Erickson, with Erickson Consulting, Inc. in Montana, who has over a decade of experience providing planning and analysis services to land trusts and other conservation organizations. Donna has worked with over 45 land trusts throughout the west on everything from accreditation preparation and organizational assessments to strategic conservation planning.
The Help Desk compliments our Ask an Expert conference call series and the Alliance’s online Ask an Expert service on The Learning Center by providing an in-person, in-depth response to your specific needs and questions.
Donna will be available to answer questions on a wide range of topics.
Here are a few examples:
Organizational Management and Human Resources
- What are the appropriate lines of communication between staff and board members?
- Our board is small and we need new expertise. How do we approach board development?
- What is the executive director’s role in managing and developing the board?
- How do we build strong board committees?
- We are ready to hire another staff person. Where is it best to add capacity?
- How do we manage stewardship funds?
- How do we create a financial dashboards?
- Should we set aside a portion of every grant to go towards administrative costs?
- What are the staff and board roles in fundraising?
- How do we motivate the board to fundraise?
- How do we decide if we ready to start a capital campaign?
- How do we sequence the planning we need to do? Strategic plan? Fundraising plan? Land conservation plan?
- What are the elements of a good strategic plan? What is our next step after creating one?
- How do we decide if accreditation will help our organization and how do we know if we are ready to pursue it?
- We are an accredited land trust wondering if we are addressing our Expectations for Improvements from the Land trust Accreditation Commission appropriately.
- How do we approach the work planning required to submit an application?
- We're experiencing tricky situation: Who do we talk to?
- Where do I turn for good templates of the policies our organization needs?
- How do we go about engaging a broader segment of our community?
- What ways do land trusts effectively collaborate to increase their efficiency?
Send your question to Donna at email@example.com. She'll reply by email or set up a time to discuss your question in more detail by phone.
Dig Deeper on The Learning Center
As part of the service, participants will be shown how to log in to The Learning Center to find additional resources.
Note: The Organizational Development Help Desk is not designed to address questions related to conservation defense and easement drafting. Because this is a pilot program, we will take an adaptive approach and may adjust our strategy based on participant feedback. Therefore, everyone who uses this service will be asked to complete a confidential evaluation at the end of the year.