Doing Due Diligence Right
Date: February 27, 2014
Time: 2:00 - 3:30 pm ET
Instructor: Laurel Florio
Cost: $55 before February 26, then cost will increase to $65.
Level: Beginner / Intermediate
A conservation easement is a promise to protect land forever, and forever depends, in part, upon land trust personnel properly completing all the necessary steps in the transaction process. This webinar provides a road map to help you navigate the complex legal, technical and practical matters involved in a conservation easement transaction.
Conservation attorney Laurel Florio will discuss the essential steps involved in due diligence (title review will be covered in a separate webinar on April 8):
- Determining when an environmental assessment is needed
- Examining IRC §170(h) to ensure the project meets requirements for tax deduction (if a tax deduction is sought)
- Understanding the timing and importance of the survey and appraisal
- Signing the 8283
- Determining what records to keep and discard in the context of recordkeeping laws
- Sending the gift acknowledgment letter