Thanks to generous donations from our supporters, we are pleased to offer scholarships to qualifying member land trusts. Awards will range in support from $500 to $1,000 and are to help staff and board members of Alliance Member Land Trusts attend Rally 2014.
The application period has closed. We will contact applicants the week of August 4th regarding the status of their application.
If you applied for a scholarship last year or have applied for other Alliance re-grants (exception New York State Conservation Partnership Program), then chances are you already have an account. If not, you will need to create a new one.
Once you have set up your account, click on Apply on the left hand side of your screen and click on “2014 Rally Scholarships” to begin your application.
- Application system works best in Firefox and Google Chrome browsers.
- Make sure you save your application if you plan to take a break before submitting it.
- Applications are linked to specific users email addresses, therefore if you are submitting an application on behalf of another individual please use their account or create an account on their behalf.
- Applications are NOT linked to the organization. If you are completing multiple applications for different individuals within an organization we recommend that you set up a general account using a generic email address such as email@example.com, that way everyone at the organization can have access to the same account.
You must register for Rally with full payment, and submit your scholarship application to the Alliance by Wednesday, July 16. If you do not receive a scholarship and will not be able to attend Rally, you must tell us in writing (email is preferred, firstname.lastname@example.org) by Monday, August 18. We will then cancel your registration and refund your registration fees in full.
What are the criteria for choosing scholarship recipients?
Rally scholarships are awarded to staff and board of Alliance member land trusts that demonstrate the ability or potential to protect land in their communities. We typically do not award more than one scholarship per organization, per year, thus use your judgment regarding submission of multiple applications for one organization. To help select these organizations, we have established the following criteria:
Factors that weigh in favor of a Rally scholarship applicant:
- If the scholarship is for the first paid staff member of a land trust (hired within the past 12 months).
- If the scholarship is for a board member that has not attended Rally before.
- If the land trust's annual operating budget is less than $100,000.
- If the land trust shows evidence of an active land conservation program or shows progress in laying the groundwork for such a program.
- If the land trust shows progress in developing fundraising capacity.
- If no staff or board member has ever been to Rally.
- If the land trust has, or is planning for, projects in urban areas.
- If a scholarship will result in more than one representative from the land trust attending the Rally.
Factors that weigh against a Rally scholarship applicant:
- If the applicant, not the organization, also received a scholarship for Rally 2013 in New Orleans.
Scholarship notification letters will be sent out to applicants the week of August 4th.
Recipients must register for Rally and cover all of their own costs up front. After Rally, the Alliance requires that the scholarship recipient complete a Rally Scholarship Summary Form. . Instructions will be sent with the scholarship notification letter. Upon receiving the completed form, the Alliance will send a check for the scholarship amount, payable to the land trust, not the individual. The Alliance must receive the form by Monday, October 20, 2014, in order to provide the scholarship. Land trusts should contact the Alliance if other arrangements need to be made.
For general scholarship questions, please contact Pam Nicholls at 970-245-5811 or email@example.com.
If you encounter technical difficulties using the online application program, please contact Katrina Howey, Grants Management Specialist, at (518) 587-0774 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you to our Rally 2014 scholarship sponsors:
Charles Stewart Mott Foundation
Gaylord and Dorothy Donnelley Foundation
Houston Endowment Inc.
Merck Family Fund
Nina Mason Pulliam Charitable Trust
Rhode Island Foundation
Still Water Foundation
The Edmund and Betsy Cabot Charitable Foundation
The Prospect Hill Foundation
U.S. Forest Service, Forest Legacy Program
Virginia Environmental Endowment