Thanks to generous donations from our supporters, we are pleased to offer scholarships to qualifying member land trusts. Awards will range in support from $500 to $1,000 and are to help staff and board members of Alliance Member Land Trusts attend Rally 2013.
The Rally scholarship application period has ended. Applicants will be notified the week of July 22nd about the status of their scholarship.
You must register for Rally with full payment, and submit your scholarship application to the Alliance by Wednesday, July 10. If you do not receive a scholarship and will not be able to attend Rally, you must tell us in writing (email is preferred, firstname.lastname@example.org) by Monday, August 19. We will then cancel your registration and refund your registration fees in full.
What are the criteria for choosing scholarship recipients?
Rally scholarships are awarded to staff and board of Alliance member land trusts that demonstrate the ability or potential to protect land in their communities. We typically do not award more than one scholarship per organization, per year, thus use your judgment regarding submission of multiple applications for one organization. To help select these organizations, we have established the following criteria:
Factors that weigh in favor of a Rally scholarship applicant:
- If the scholarship is for the first paid staff member of a land trust (hired within the past 12 months).
- If the scholarship is for a board member that has not attended Rally before.
- If the land trust's annual operating budget is less than $100,000.
- If the land trust shows evidence of an active land conservation program or shows progress in laying the groundwork for such a program.
- If the land trust shows progress in developing fundraising capacity.
- If no staff or board member has ever been to Rally.
- If the land trust has, or is planning for, projects in urban areas.
- If a scholarship will result in more than one representative from the land trust attending the Rally.
Factors that weigh against a Rally scholarship applicant:
- If the applicant, not the organization, also received a scholarship for Rally 2012 in Salt Lake City.
Scholarship notification letters will be sent out to applicants the week of July 22nd.
Recipients must register for Rally and cover all of their own costs up front. After Rally, the Alliance requires that the scholarship recipient complete a Rally Scholarship Summary Form. This form must also be completed online. Instructions will be sent with the scholarship notification letter. Upon receiving the completed form, the Alliance will send a check for the scholarship amount, payable to the land trust, not the individual. The Alliance must receive the form by Monday, October 28, 2013, in order to provide the scholarship. Land trusts should contact the Alliance if other arrangements need to be made.
Please contact Patty Tipson at 202-870-3971 or email@example.com
If you encounter technical difficulties using the online application program, please contact Andy Weaver at 202-800-2236 or firstname.lastname@example.org .
Thank you to our Rally 2013 scholarship sponsors:
The Cabana Fund of the Oregon Community Foundation
Charles Stewart Mott Foundation
Gaylord and Dorothy Donnelley Foundation
Hollis Norris Fund
Nina Mason Pulliam Charitable Trust