The Enhanced Easement Incentive
Breaking: House Votes for Permanent Easement Incentive
The House voted on July 17 on H.R. 4719, "The America Gives More Act," which contains the Conservation Easement Incentive Act. The bill passed by a bipartisan vote of 277-130.This is the first time every member of Congress has gone on record making the easement incentive permanent.
- See ways to thank your representatives for voting for the bill
The provision officially reached a bipartisan majority of the House as co-sponsors – 222 in total. However, it is important that we continue to work together to ensure its passage. Moreover, the more bipartisan votes we secure, the better positioned we will be with the Senate.
Regardless of whether or not your Congressman or woman was a co-sponsor, please call your representative to urge him or her to vote “yes” when it comes up for a vote next Wednesday or Thursday. You can reach your representative by calling the House switchboard at 202-225-3121.
Making permanent the enhanced tax deduction for conservation easements has been a priority for the Alliance and the land trust community since 2006. This will be the first time we’ve been able to get a vote on this on the House floor.
Let’s take full advantage of this historic opportunity.
Support Needed to Extend Expired Tax Incentive
Our top legislative priority this year is to preserve the enhanced tax incentive for conservation easement donations, which the House of Representatives will be voting on July 16 or 17.
Please ask your representatives to support the easement incentive on the House floor. Even if they are already a co-sponsor, please call again and affirm their support for this critical conservation tool.
- Find talking points, fact sheets, and new letters of support
- Check the latest co-sponsor list
- See previous co-sponsors who haven't yet renewed their support
- Say 'thank you' once your representatives and senators have signed on
A Critical Conservation Tool with Broad, Bipartisan Support
The enhanced income tax deduction for conservation easement donations has helped America’s land trusts work with farmers, ranchers and other modest-income landowners to increase the pace of conservation by a third to over a million acres a year! Unfortunately, this cost-effective conservation incentive expired at the end of 2013.
- Urge Representatives to vote for the charities package, which includes the Conservation Easement Incentive Act, H.R. 2807, introduced by Reps. Jim Gerlach (R-PA) and Mike Thompson (D-CA).
- Senators can join Senators Max Baucus (D-MT) and Orrin Hatch (R-UT) as co-sponsors of the Rural Heritage Conservation Extension Act, S. 526, by sending a signed unanimous consent agreement to the Senate floor.
Please be sure towhen asking for their renewed support.
Thanks to the hard work of Senator Max Baucus (D-MT), along with land trusts and coalition partners around the country, on August 3, 2006 the Congress approved a tremendous expansion of the federal tax incentive for conservation easement donations
- Conservation Incentive and Solid Tax Reform
- Current Status and Future Prospects
- A Diverse National Coalition
- Frequently Asked Questions about the Enhanced Incentive
For more information about the easement incentive, please contact Bryan David at 202-800-2223, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.