One of the most effective ways we increase the pace of land conservation, is through tax incentives that help landowners afford to choose conservation over development. Land trusts have been enormously successful in using these incentives to protect special places across America.
In 2006, Congress created a powerful new incentive for easement donations, which expired at the end of 2014. In February 2015, the House voted 279-127 to make the incentive permanent.
Tax Advocates Updates
- February 11, 2015: House Vote Thursday on Conservation Tax Incentive
- February 3, 2015: House conservation tax incentive bill to be voted on next week!
- January 30, 2015: House conservation tax incentive bill to be introduced next week!
- December 12: House fails to make conservation tax incentive permanent
- December 11: House vote on conservation tax incentive today
- November 30: Deal on Conservation Tax Incentive stalls with veto threat
- November 18: Conservation Tax Incentive heating up in the lame duck
- August 2: Will the Senate act on the conservation tax incentive?
- July 17: House passes H.R. 4719, which includes the enhanced tax incentive for conservation easement donations
- July 17: House Debating Conservation Tax Incentive Now
- July 2: House Vote on the Conservation Tax Incentive Coming
- June 9: Conservation Tax Incentive Voted Out of Committee - Thank You!
- April 4, 2014: Senate Finance Committee Approves Extension of the Tax Incentive
- March 4, 2014: What's One Thing the President & House Republicans Have in Common?
- February 27, 2014: Tax Reform Draft Includes Conservation Tax Incentive
- December 10, 2013: New Tools for Final Push; NY Times Op-Ed Response
- November 27, 2013: Three Things to be Thankful For
- November 8, 2013: Will the Conservation Tax Incentive Be Renewed?
- October 30, 2013: What is the Budget Conference & Why Should I Care?
- August 1, 2013: Easement Incentive Bill Introduced