New Tax Incentive Letter, 252 Co-sponsors, IRA Charitable Rollover
New Letter Seeks Permanent Easement Incentive, Ask Your Rep to Sign-on
The co-chairs of the House Land Conservation Caucus are gathering signatures on a urging House Leadership to prioritize making the easement incentive permanent this year. A similar letter circulated at the height of the Farm Bill debate garnered 65 signatures and was extremely helpful. The House Ways and Means Committee is working on an estate tax bill right now -- which may be one vehicle for the easement incentive -- so this is a great time for a letter.
- Call the Capitol Switchboard at 202-224-3121 and ask for your Rep.
- Ask for the staff member who handles tax issues.
- Urge them to sign on by contacting Jesse Young in the office of Rep. Chris Murphy (D-CT). If your Rep. is already a co-sponsor of H.R. 1831, be sure to thank them and let them know this is just another way to help.
- Ask for their email address so you can send a copy of the letter.
- You can also let them know they're invited to a Land Conservation Caucus briefing on conservation tax policy on Wednesday, November 4th at 1:00pm in 2203 Rayburn House Office Building.
View the list of signers that we'll keep current.
Great Work at Rally: H.R. 1831 Adds 20 Co-sponsors!
Thanks in large part to your calls from Rally 2009, H.R. 1831 has gained 20 co-sponsors since our last update. That brings our total to 252 co-sponsors from 49 states! for the full list, or scroll down for new additions.
We realize these pleas are beginning to sound like a broken record, but saying thank you is a truly important step towards assuring your delegation's support when hard choices are made. Calling or sending a letter is just a first step. Please check out our for media templates and other creative suggestions.
Help Save the IRA Charitable Rollover
Originally enacted as part of the 2006 Pension Protection Act, the "IRA Charitable Rollover" provision, allows seniors to make charitable contributions of up to $100,000 from their individual retirement accounts (IRAs) and Roth IRAs without having to pay taxes on the withdrawals. Such contributions could provide a huge boost to charities like yours, but unless Congress acts, this incentive will expire December 31, 2009.
Your organization can help by signing on to a community letter to convince lawmakers to extend the IRA Charitable Rollover by supporting the Public Good IRA Rollover Act of 2009. Please sign today as Independent Sector will be sharing the sign-on letter with Congress by the end of this week, and we need to show them that this provision is important to as many nonprofits as possible. We also encourage you to share this message and encourage your affiliates and partners to sign on as well. You can find more information on the Independent Sector website.
Last Week to Comment on 2010 Policy Priorities
At Rally's Public Policy Review and in recent alerts, we've been soliciting your comments on our Policy Options Memo for 2010. We anticipate having fewer resources for policy work in the year ahead and need your help making some tough choices among the many issues we could work on.
Have an opinion, but don't have time to fill out the chart? That's fine. Please feel free to simply provide your feedback by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thanks for all your help and guidance!
H.R. 1831 and S. 812 Co-sponsors Added Since Last Update:
- Rep. J Gresham Barrett (R-SC/3rd)
- Rep. Vern Buchanan (R-FL/13th)
- Rep. Steve Cohen (D-TN/9th)
- Rep. John Conyers, Jr. (D-MI/14th)
- Rep. Diana DeGette (D-CO/1st)
- Rep. Mario Diaz-Balart (R-FL/25th)
- Rep. Barney Frank (D-MA/4th)
- Rep. Stephanie Herseth Sandlin (D-SD)
- Rep. Rick Larsen (D-WA/2nd)
- Rep. Patrick McHenry (R-NC/10th)
- Rep. Donald Payne (D-NJ/10th)
- Rep. Ed Perlmutter (D-CO/7th)
- Rep. Silvestre Reyes (D-TX/16th)
- Rep. Brad Sherman (D-CA/27th)
- Rep. Vic Snyder (D-AR/2nd)
- Rep. Mark Souder (R-IN/3rd)
- Rep. John Spratt (D-SC/5th)
- Rep. Bennie G. Thompson (D-MS/2nd)
- Rep. Niki Tsongas (D-MA/5th)
- Rep. Michael Turner (R-OH/3rd)
- Senator Pat Roberts (R-KS)*
- Senator Charles Schumer (D-NY)*
- Senator Mark Warner (D-VA)
*Members of the Senate Finance Committee
Become an ADVOCATE
Click here to sign-up for Land Trust ADVOCATES e-mail alerts.