Make the Most of 300 House Co-sponsors
UPDATE: The news is now official, so please help spread the word! Active votes prevented Reps. Gerlach and Thompson from making their floor remarks, however, so we'll have another opportunity to generate news when those remarks occur.
In last Monday’s eNews Alert, we promised sample materials to help you share the exciting news that 300 representatives – including majorities of Republicans and Democrats – have co-sponsored our bill to make the enhanced tax incentive for conservation easements permanent. This milestone is a great opportunity to get recognition for the bipartisan support your work enjoys. You can also thank co-sponsors from your area, providing increased media attention that will help to get the bill passed.
Land conservation is something we can all agree on. Congressmen Jim Gerlach (R-PA) and Mike Thompson (D-CA) announce that we have recruited 300 House co-sponsors for our bill to make the enhanced tax incentive for conservation easements permanent – and that includes majorities of Republicans and Democrats! Congress should seize this opportunity to get the job done.
Your Toolkit to Make the Most of This News
We’re reaching out to reporters nationally, but can’t do it alone. Your land trust can help make this a local news story that gets your Congressional delegation’s attention. Here are some sample materials and related links to make it easy:
- Sample local press release
- Sample Letter to the Editor
- Tips on dealing with the media
- Co-sponsor list
- Land Trust Alliance Press Release
- State fact sheets on 2010 National Land Trust Census results
- Impact of land trust outreach: Census 2010 Stories in the News (100+!)
- National Conservation Easement Database (where you can pull up a map of easements by congressional district, or request that your easements be added)
- Basic fact sheets, talking points and materials for seeking co-sponsors
Listen to Our Tax Incentive Media Strategy Call
Thanks to everybody who called-in for our national tax incentive media strategy call February 8.
- Listen to an audio recording of the call (.mp3, 3 MB)
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or need personal assistance with your press outreach