You are here: Home / Land Trusts / Northeast Success Stories / DuPont Estate Permanently Protected

DuPont Estate Permanently Protected

Winterthur, the former private estate of Henry F. du Pont, will be permanently protected as open space, following the decision by its board of directors to donate a conservation easement on 982 acres to the Brandywine Conservancy.
Up one level
DuPont Estate Permanently Protected

DELAWARE - Winterthur, the former private estate of Henry F. du Pont, will be permanently protected as open space, following the decision by its board of directors to donate a conservation easement on 982 acres to the Brandywine Conservancy.

The donation makes Winterthur one of the state's largest tracts of preserved open space north of Wilmington.The donation is also a personal victory for conservancy cofounder George A. Weymouth, who has talked about permanent protection for the property for 35 years. Mr. du Pont was on the Brandywine Conservancy's first board of trustees. Leslie Greene Bowman, director of Winterthur, said the easement was a gift to the community in celebration of the estate's 50th birthday as a museum.

In recent years, sprawl has edged closer to Winterthur's pastoral borders. Just to the north is Wynleigh, a subdivision of 19 homes completed two years ago. Winterthur's easement is the largest held by the conservancy in Delaware. The Brandywine Conservancy is responsible for permanently protecting more than 37,000 acres in northern Delaware and Southeastern Pennsylvania.

Document Actions
Bookmark and Share

1660 L St. NW, Suite 1100, Washington, DC 20036 info@lta.org ©Copyright 2014 Land Trust Alliance

Privacy Policy | Photo Credits | Site Map | Contact Us