How to Be a Great Board Member, III: Negotiating Differences and Disagreements to Advance Your Mission
Date: March 27, 2013
Time: 2:00-3:30 pm ET
Instructor: Jane Zirlis
Cost: $55 before 3/26, then cost will increase to $65
Level: Beginner / Intermediate
Differences and disagreements among Board Members aren’t necessarily a bad thing. They can be the source of valuable initiatives, and the antidote to group-think. The key is reframing an argument into a problem-solving process that advances the mission of the land trust, while maintaining or even improving relationships among board members.
This webinar teaches the essential skills of Principled Negotiation, a.k.a., Win-Win:
- Reframing an argument to a joint problem-solving process
- Engaging in active listening to promote effective communication
- Differentiating positions from interests
- Planning and using a BATNA (best alternative to a negotiated argeement)
- Generating and selecting options for mutual gain
After taking this webinar, participants will be able to use effective negotiation techniques themselves, as well as role-model and coach those techniques with their Board.