Staying Informed on Conservation Law
Are you an experienced land trust professional, attorney, law school faculty, appraiser or accountant looking to stay informed on conservation law? Are you interested in crafting practical legal solutions?
If you work with land trusts on advanced legal issues, this is a program you cannot afford to miss. This symposium will deliver information that is impossible to find at any other single program. You will receive updates from leading practitioners and conservation professionals who are uniquely qualified to weigh in on timely topics in conservation law. You will leave with practical tips you can put to use immediately upon your return to the office.
Join us for two intensive days where we will:
- Explore the developing law on the donation valuation of land and easements and ethical duties of land trusts;
- Examine specific challenges with multiple landowners of conservation easement property;
- Unravel specific examples of nonprofit law risk assessment and management;
- Explore strategies for confronting proposed interstate pipelines, including demonstration of public need, consideration of alternative transport systems and deference to conservation values; and
- Dig into the nuances and implications of three recent critical conservation cases.
Agenda & Faculty
View the full agenda and faculty bios. By attending the symposium, you can earn up to 11 Continuing Legal Education (CLE) credits.
Registration is open — click here to begin.
Early-Bird Registration (on or before May 24, 2017)
- Alliance Member Land Trusts: $495
- General admission: $595
Basic Registration (May 25, 2017 or later):
- Alliance member land trusts: $545
- General admission: $645
Full-time students received a discounted rate of $325.
Cancellation Policy & Inclement Weather
The Land Trust Alliance must receive a written request for refund before close of business on Wednesday, May 24, 2017. Non-refunded payment for the Advanced Legal Topics in Land Conservation training will not be credited toward any other service or contribution to the Alliance. There will be a $35 administrative fee for all changes and cancellations resulting after your initial registration. In the event you are unable to attend because of inclement weather, no refunds will be given. Generally be prepared for temperatures in the upper 80s and low 90s. Dress comfortably. The adjacent popular Riverwalk is well shaded and the hotel is air conditioned.
Thank you to our Sponsors
The Land Trust Alliance thanks the sponsors of the symposium:
- Braun & Gresham, PLLC
- Green Spaces Alliance of South Texas
- Kaplan Kirsch and Rockwell, LLP
- The Nature Conservancy
The sponsor contributions and your registration fee cover the actual costs to the Alliance to host the symposium, including continuing legal education credits for the anticipated 125 registrants. The financial goal is to break even so that the Alliance can continue to offer the symposia series. The Alliance seeks no profit but that of supporting this prestigious community of experts to accomplish even more for land conservation.
Lodging in Downtown San Antonio
We are pleased to offer a discounted rate of $149/night (plus tax) for a single/double room at the Sheraton Gunter Hotel. Complimentary wireless internet is included. Book online now. You may also call 888-999-2089 and reference the Sixth Symposium.
If you have a question, please direct your inquiries below:
Thank You to Our Program Committee
- Leslie Ratley-Beach, Land Trust Alliance
- Cathy Howell, The Nature Conservancy
- Burgess Jackson, Law Office of Burgess Jackson
- Bill Silberstein, Kaplan Kirsch & Rockwell LLP