Media Relations Manager
Reports to: Director of Communications
Location: Washington, D.C.
The Land Trust Alliance is a national conservation organization whose mission is to save the places people love by strengthening land conservation across America. Land trusts harness three fundamental American values: private initiative, community cooperation and a deep connection to the land, and they created the Alliance over 30 years ago to expand their effectiveness and political strength. Today the Land Trust Alliance represents 1,700 land trusts with 12,000 staff, 15,000 board members, five million members and more than 50 million acres conserved. The Alliance works with Congress to pass tax incentives and funding that help landowners to choose conservation over development. The Alliance serves as a university for land conservation that trains the people who do the work to conserve cherished farms, forests, parks and trails. It strengthens community-based land trusts by providing workshops, online learning, research, standards, and accreditation services. The Alliance’s conservation defense program helps land trusts ensure that conserved land stays protected forever. Now the Alliance is implementing a bold new strategic communications vision to build public support for land conservation, land trusts and the Land Trust Alliance.
With dramatic early success, the Alliance now seeks to add to its team an experienced, high-impact media relations manager to focus on writing and media relations. This position is based in the organization’s Washington, D.C. headquarters and reports to the Director of Communications.
The Media Relations Manager is a key member of the Strategic Communications team at the Land Trust Alliance. S/he is a writer and content generator who also develops and implements media plans that support the organization’s priorities, cultivates national online media targets, manages incoming media requests and secures placement in top online and offline outlets. The position develops messages and materials, such as brochure text, website content, op-eds, press releases and announcements. It also assesses resource needs for online and offline media pitches, and will oversee the launch and management of the Alliance’s blog. S/he will identify opportunities for further developing the Alliance and its spokespeople’s online brands and visibility among top audiences through social media, blog outreach and online news sources, and will develop editorial content. S/he will also be responsible for the measurement of various marketing and media efforts through the online Vocus news tracking system, and will gather qualitative data that measure impact. S/he will update and maintain the Alliance’s online pressroom.
Partnership is a hallmark of the Alliance, and the Media Relations Manager will monitor media stories from and about the land trust community and identify opportunities for the Alliance to engage. S/he will provide support to elevate the media outreach capabilities of the land trust community, including creating and sharing tools, templates and best practices. And s/he will solicit and edit posts from the land trust community for the Alliance’s blog.
- Writes content for Alliance communications vehicles to ensure consistent quality, voice and content flow throughout the organization.
- Serves as the go-to writer for the Communications team.
- Coaches others to encourage strong writing across the organization.
- Cultivates relationships with on- and offline media.
- Launches and curates the Alliance’s blog.
- Manages the Alliance’s social media presence.
- Sets annual earned media strategy and maintains an editorial calendar to ensure media outreach is aligned with organizational goals.
- Responds to breaking news as appropriate and is able to juggle multiple priorities.
- Develops messages and materials, such as website content, op-eds, press releases and announcements and works proactively to get them placed.
- Encourages and elevates the media capabilities of the land trust community.
- Tracks media efforts and contacts through Vocus.
- Identifies communications opportunities for Alliance spokespeople, including arranging editorial board meetings to influence news outlets to write stories and editorials that support the Alliance’s priorities.
- Provides input on media-related portion of departmental budget.
- Secures and manages media vendor relationships.
Competencies and Impact
- Designs, implements and directs multiple complex projects, setting and meeting deadlines and ensuring program accountability.
- Significant opportunity to act independently within broad program goals.
- Makes strategic decisions based on analysis, experience and judgment, which may have program-wide impact.
- Accepts responsibility and accountability for meeting programmatic strategic goals and objectives.
- Works and communicates with a wide range of people in and outside of the organization in order to develop, negotiate, and/or implement programs and projects.
- Communicates strategic project goals and objectives.
- Leverages constructive and effective relationships inside and outside the Alliance.
- Social media engagement: number of blog posts and social media posts and traffic, likes and shares for that content.
- Number of media placements in target media by the Alliance and by partner land trusts.
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Relations, Journalism, or related field; five to seven years of experience implementing media and publicity programs and measuring results. Public relations agency experience desirable.
- Excellent writer who can adopt the Alliance ‘voice’.
- Experience designing and implementing media relations programs.
- Demonstrated experience in MS Office programs. Internet-savvy.
- Knowledge of Vocus is desirable.
- Experience in media and marketing team environments.
- Experience in managing social media outreach.
- Drive to further develop creative and technical writing skills that raise the bar for the organization.
- Appreciation of the role of written communications in influencing peoples’ actions.
- An ability to remain cool under pressure and take on multiple projects and aggressive deadlines with grace.
- Comfortable voicing opinions and ideas as part of a collaborative and integrated team.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain strong working relationships with media representatives and internal stakeholders.
- Demonstrated initiative with ability to handle multi-faceted media environment.
- Ability to work effectively without daily supervision and as part of a team.
- Ability to work quickly and meet deadlines while managing several ongoing projects.
- Organized and attentive to details.
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule.
- Passion for saving land a must. Knowledge of private land conservation techniques and/or land trusts highly desirable.
Competitive salary and benefits provided commensurate with experience.
Send resume, cover letter and three references via . If email is not an option, applications will be accepted by mail to Human Resources Manager, Land Trust Alliance, 1660 L Street NW, Suite 1100, Washington, DC 20036.
The Land Trust Alliance’s mission is to save the places people love by strengthening land conservation across America. The Land Trust Alliance is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate because of race, creed, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, or marital status.