Annual Fund Coordinator
Reports to: Director of Individual Giving
Location: Washington, D.C.
The Land Trust Alliance is a national conservation organization whose mission is to save the places people love by strengthening land conservation throughout America. The Alliance works with Congress to pass tax incentives and funding that help landowners to choose conservation over development. The Alliance serves as a university for land conservation that trains the people who do the work to conserve cherished farms, forests, parks and trails. It strengthens community-based land trusts by providing workshops, online learning, research, standards and accreditation services. The Alliance’s conservation defense program helps land trusts ensure that conserved land stays protected forever. The Alliance works with the media to promote land conservation and engage more Americans in saving our most treasured places.
Reporting to the Director of Individual Giving, the Annual Fund Coordinator will develop and lead a comprehensive annual fund program to increase donor participation and gift giving, primarily focused on growing our Guardians of the Land ($1,000-$9,999) program, as well as developing the strategy and overseeing the management of our Direct Mail ($999 – under) program.
S/he will work closely with the Director of Individual Giving and External Relations Managers to secure new donors at the Guardians level using a combination of higher-end cultivation and stewardship activities, thank-a-thons and other opportunities. S/he will also work in close coordination with the team of field-based major gift officers, supplying back-end support with their major gift portfolios and developing new strategies to secure new donors.
This position will supervise the Membership Coordinator, who implements the Direct Mail program and the Organizational Membership program.
S/he is also responsible for the timely maintenance of the section of the Alliance website devoted to development; maintaining the Individual Giving program calendar; and ensuring data integrity for their portion of the donor database. The Coordinator works closely with the Communications team to ensure that all Direct Mail, Organizational Membership materials, and Guardians pieces are incorporated seamlessly into existing communications vehicles.
- Revitalize the Individual Giving Direct Mail ($999 – under) and Guardians of the Land ($1,000 - $9,999) mail programs, ensuring the creation of solicitation and cultivation materials for donor renewals, upgrades, electronic mail, and acquisition. Develop new strategies to grow the pipeline of donors from Direct Mail to Guardians of the Land.
- Create a new suite of cost-effective cultivation and stewardship activities to attract new donors and upgrade lower-level donors into the Guardians of the Land program.
- Supervise the Membership Coordinator.
- Work in close partnership with the Membership Coordinator by overseeing the implementation of the land trust and partner mail programs, as well as the production of the Direct Mail program.
- Work closely with the Membership Coordinator to create new and creative cultivation and stewardship pieces for the Organizational Membership program.
- Coordinate closely with Director of Individual Giving, External Relations Officers and Vice President on all renewal and acquisition mailings to individuals in major gift portfolios. Collaborate with the Major Gifts team to create strategies focused on moving prospects into the major gift pipeline as appropriate.
- Maintain the Alliance’s staff giving program for the annual fund.
- Work closely with the Director of Individual Giving and Development Operations Specialist on accurate reports and analysis for Individual Giving data and on cultivation and stewardship outreach to Alliance donors.
- Maintain portions of the Alliance website dedicated to Development purposes, and all related online giving mechanisms.
- Work closely with the Director of Individual Giving to oversee the budget, process, goals and objectives related to annual fund responsibilities.
- As needed, provide backup support for the processing of gift entry for all development and membership gifts.
- Collaborate with Communications, Organizational Membership, and other Alliance departments to ensure consistency with communications, messaging and solicitation.
- Participate in all Alliance, Development, and Individual Giving meetings as assigned.
- Input into the database all relevant information from the two mail programs.
- Perform other administrative duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree and at least two to four years’ experience in fundraising, with a preference in annual giving or a related field.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Detail oriented, with strong organizational, analytical, and planning skills.
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills.
- Adaptive and flexible with an ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks and a variety of demands.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, and to work independently as well as within a team.
- Strong commitment to maintain confidentiality and a high degree of accuracy in the management of donor records.
- Ability work with boards and/or other leadership groups.
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule including occasional travel.
- Strong interest in land conservation.
This is a full-time exempt permanent position. Competitive salary and benefits provided.
Please forward your resume, cover letter, three writing samples and three references to email@example.com. If email is not an option, applications will be accepted by mail to Human Resources Manager, Land Trust Alliance, 1660 L Street, NW, Ste. 1100, Washington, D.C. 20036.
The Land Trust Alliance’s mission is to save the places people love by strengthening land conservation across America. The Land Trust Alliance is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate because of race, creed, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, or marital status.